Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Keeping love alive after 70 years of marriage

Ed and Florence "Toots" Shevick first met in Chicago in the 1940s. Today he's 93 and she's 91, and after 70 years of marriage, they still hold hands every day, and never go to bed without a kissing goodnight.


While he was overseas during WWII, they wrote letters to each other every day, and for the past 50 years they've lived in the same house in Woodland Hills, CA. They have two children, one grandchild and one great-grandchild. Ed plays tennis several times each week. "I play with kids who are only 75 or 80," he says. But he knows what's most important in life. "At this point in my life, the most important thing I can do is try to make Toots healthy and happy," he says, and she adds, "He's the most important thing in my life, and I'm the most important thing in his life." What kept their love alive for so many years? A shared sense of humor. "We laugh a lot," says Toots.

No comments:

Post a Comment