Thursday, June 18, 2015

9-year-old boy saves racehorse

Brandon Heyman, 9, of Ontario, Canada, was planning his birthday party when he heard about Karazan, a 17-year-old chestnut mare racehorse who needed a friend. Karazan is a direct descendent of Canada's greatest racehorse, Northern Dance, but in the horse world age trumps pedigree and she had just been sold to a meat buyer. "Mummy, my birthday's coming up. Just give my birthday money to them. I don't want her to die," said Brandon.


Brandon's family already had seven horses, one donkey, dogs, cats and six kids, but his Mom was so touched by his compassion that she raised the remaining $650 needed to buy the racehorse. Then she surprised Brandon by giving him a new best friend.

"It's my first horse," says Brandon. "I clean her and wash her, but my sister feeds her." Brandon is determined to fill Karazan's days with love and affection, and the feeling is mutual.

No comments:

Post a Comment