Wednesday, February 1, 2017

What does it mean to be a "perfect" stranger?

As reported in the New York Post, Roseann Sdoia was a spectator near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon when two pressure-cooker bombs went off near her. One of the first responders was firefighter Mike Materia. He ran to her aid and comforted her during her ride to Massachusetts General Hospital. "I asked him if I was going to die," she remembers. "He told me that I was going to be okay; that I only had a flesh wound."

                                                                                                                                              AP
Materia returned to the hospital a few days later to visit her. "I was probably not the nicest to him from the get-go. I was in pain," she says. But as weeks passed, the pair struck up a friendship. Materia helped her find a prosthetist and get back on her feet, physically and emotionally.  She was starting to like him "because he was so kind and caring." She says he had an "unbelievable smile." Two months later, the pair went on their first date, and last month Materia proposed to her and she said yes. "I do feel that, in a sense, things happen for a reason," she admits. "He's seen me on my worst day." In March they plan to release a book called "Perfect Strangers."

                                                                                                                                           AP

No comments:

Post a Comment