Thursday, May 4, 2017

"Take me out to the ball game..."

Phil Coyne started ushering for Pittsburgh Pirates games when he was 18. And he still has no plans to retire, even as he turned 99 last week and was honored with a jersey numbered 99. "He's a great representative," said Pirates president Phil Coonelly. "Everybody who comes here has to say hello to Phil. Everyone knows Phil."


"It's the people that keep bringing me back," says Coyne. "The people in my section. I've been so close to everyone over the years. How many years? Well, Coyne still remembers seeing Babe Ruth hit three home runs, all in one game, in 1935. Although Coyne never married, the fans in his section are his family, and his nieces are very proud of him. "He is the kindest person in the world," says great-niece Simone Coyne. "We're already planning to get him to 100." Phil is also planning on 100. "On opening day, everybody would give me hugs and kisses when I come back," says Coyne. "I don't want to disappoint them."

No comments:

Post a Comment