Monday, November 23, 2015

Even if our borders close, American hearts stay open

California mom Cristal Logothetis noticed many refugees fleeing terror in Syria were carrying babies and infants in their arms. Americans often use baby carriers to keep our arms free, but these parents who must hike for miles could easily fall and drop their babies. So she started a Facebook page called "Carry the Future," seeking donated baby carriers or funds to buy them.  After collecting 2,000 carriers, she and ten other moms flew to Greece to meet ships loaded with refugees. One mom, Christine Anderson, shown here, writes on Facebook:

                                                                                                                    Carry the Future/Facebook
"I'm tired and hungry, but went to meet the 10 p.m. ferry tonight anyway. The first families came off the boats and we showed them we had baby carriers. We fit a baby on one mama with a small carrier. The father explains in limited English that they are from Syria and tells me the names of his four children. The toddler jumps into my arms and gives me a big hug and a 'thank you' in English. I put him on his father's back in an Ergo. The father looks at me and says 'relief!' Now his arms are free to help his other children. The mother embraces me and thanks me. I told the father that America is rooting for him. I hope we are." To see a 5-minute TV feature of this kindness, visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPwBb9GyK5M

No comments:

Post a Comment