Tuesday, January 9, 2018

What does it mean to be Muslim?

In October, 2016, Abraham Davis and two friends defaced the Masjid Al Salam mosque in Forth Smith, Arkansas, with swastikas and hateful messages. Security cameras caught them in the act, and warrants were issued for their arrest. Filled with instant regret, Davis turned himself in. He wrote to members of the mosque, "I know you guys probably don't want t hear from me at all, but I really want to say I'm sorry for having a hand n vandalizing your mosque. I hurt you and I'm haunted by it, and you still forgive me. You are much better people than I am."

                                                                                                                  4029 News
The mosque decided not to press charges, but Davis was fined about $3,200, and if he failed to pay it, he'd go to jail for six years. Eventually mosque president Al Salam Louay Nassn heard that Davis might not be able to keep up payments on his fine. "We heard he was having financial problems," the president said, "and we didn't want him to go to jail for six years." So last December 11, a representative of the mosque went to the Sebastian County Courthouse with a cashier's check for $1,731, to completely pay off Davis's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment