Wednesday, February 25, 2015

It's not how old you get. It's how you get old.

Today's "Crumb" was shared by a reader in Redlands, CA. USA.

It was a busy morning (8:30 a.m.) when an old man came to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry since he had an appointment at 9 a.m. I took his vital signs and asked him to have a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before anyone could see him. But he kept looking at his watch, and since I was not busy with another patient, I evaluated his wound. It was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors and got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While caring for his wound, I asked if he had another doctor's appointment, since he was in such a hurry. He said no, he need to go to the nursing home to have breakfast with his wife.  I asked about her health, and he said she had alzheimer's. As we talked, I asked if she'd be upset if he was a little late today. He replied that she no longer knew who he was. She had not recognized him for five years. I was surprised and asked him, "And you still go every morning, even though she does not know who you are?" He smiled as he patted my hand. He said, "She may not know me, but I still know who she is."  Love is not about surviving the storm of life. Love is about dancing in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment