Saturday, October 18, 2014

"surely goodness and mercy shall follow me..."

Tessa Smith started first grade this fall. Her home was only a few blocks from school, but her Mom wanted to walk with her, to be sure she arrived safely. Tessa objected! She was a big girl now. She could walk with her friend and neighbor, Zoe, who was starting third grade. She's be safe with Zoe.

Tessa's Mom agreed, but still worried. Then she had an idea. A few doors away, Michelle Keller recently had a baby. Michelle walked her baby down the street in a stroller each morning. Tessa's Mom asked Michelle if she'd mind walking behind Tessa and Zoe until they got to school. But not too close. Could she stay far enough back they the wouldn't become suspicious?  Michelle was glad to help, promising to make sure Tessa and Zoe arrived at school safely.

Tessa and Zoe

All went well for the first few days, but finally Zoe asked Tessa, "Have you noticed that lady following us to school each morning?" Tessa said she had. "Who do you think she is?" Zoe wondered. "Oh, I'm pretty sure I know who she is," said Tessa. "That's Shirley Goodnest and her daughter Marci."

"Why do you think that?" Zoe asked. So Tessa explained. "Every night when I go to bed, my Mom and I repeat the 23rd Psalm, and it says, 'Shirley Goodnest and Marci will follow me all the days of my life...' so I just have to get used to it!"

So if you ever feel lost or in danger, just peek over your shoulder. Shirley Goodnest and Marci are never far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment