Monday, October 6, 2014

Letter to my grandson

Dear Lucas,

On Friday you'll be eight years old, and already you can probably read this. As you grow older, I know you'll be funny, wise, sensitive, interesting and a ball of fire, because your parents are all these things. I know you'll be strong, and a wonderful hugger like your Mom and Dad. I wish you happy happy days! You'll have some bad days too, but they only make the good ones better. I know you'll learn how to handle disappointment, because life is 10% what happens, and 90% how you handle it. I pray you'll be humble, and kind enough to always let an outsider feel like an insider.

Lucas Alfred Peterson

I know you'll learn honesty is the best policy, and that hard work really feels good, and I'm sure you'll be a loyal friend who people can count on and trust.  I hope you'll use your many advantages to make the world a better place. But until then....

In his operetta Babes in Toyland, Victor Herbert lamented, "Childhood's joyland. Mystic merry Toyland, once you pass it's borders, you can never return again." He was right. So thanks for letting me be part of your boyland.

Here if you need me,
Grandpa

1 comment: