Sunday, March 3, 2019

Do parents read bedtime stories anymore?

Belinda George is principal of Homer Drive Elementary School in Beaumont, Texas. She doesn't call her children students. She calls them scholars, and since mid-December, she's been reading them a bedtime story every Tuesday night. She sits in front of her iPhone in her pajamas and reads a story which is streamed via the school Facebook page.

                                                                                                 Kim Brent, The Enterprise
"I want to extend what I do beyond 4 p.m.," she explains, "and I'm not in every child's home so I don't know if they have someone to read to them at night. I don't have children of my own, so I love these kids with all my heart." Parents and children love the principal's outreach. Keava Turner has four children, and they all watch the live stream bedtime story. "I have a 14 year old, a third-grader, and a first-grader," she said, "and even my 10-month old sits still to watch and listen."

No comments:

Post a Comment