Sunday, December 20, 2020

A 2018 crumb worth remembering

In May, 2018, Iesha Champs graduated from Texas Southern University's Thurgood Marshall School of Law. She was 33 years old, but as a child, she'd been homeless, her mom was addicted to drugs, and her dad was deceased. While living with friends, she gave birth to the first of five children. That's when her pastor encouraged her to earn a GED. After that, she earned a Bachelor's degree from the University of Houston-Downtown. Law school was next.


She admits raising five children while studying law is not easy. But her children helped. "They would help me review with flash cards. They would sit as a mock jury while I told them what I learned that day. I would sometimes sit in my closet and pray and cry because I felt overwhelmed, and my oldest son David would gather his siblings, give them a snack, make them take a bath and gather their school clothes, all to make things easier for me. And I never knew he'd done that until I went to do it," she remembers.


No comments:

Post a Comment