Thursday, October 3, 2019

The power of love

Amber Guyger was recently sentenced to ten years in prison for fatally shooting Botham Jean in his own apartment in 2018. She said she mistook the unit for her own and believed he was an intruder. Both Jean and Guyger's families testified at her sentencing. The victim's brother, 18-year-old Brandt Jean, spoke slowly and deliberately. "I don't want to say for the hundredth time how much you've taken from us," he said. "I think you know that. But if you are truly sorry, I forgive you. And I know if you go to God and ask Him, He will forgive you."


"I love you just like anyone else," he continued. "I'm not going to say that I hope you die, just like my brother did. I personally want the best for you. Again, I love you as a person, and I don't wish anything bad for you." Then, wiping a tear from his eye, he asked District Judge Tammy Kemp, "I don't know if this is possible, but can I give her a hug please?" Judge Kemp said "yes," so he stepped down from the witness stand and hugged her tightly, as the judge wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment