Monday, June 11, 2018

Remember your school's lunch lady?

Probably not, but you would if she was Debra Davis, lunch lady at Hoover High School in San Diego, California, for nearly 30 years. "I feed the kids, I prepare the food, I talk to them, I stop them from fighting," she said recently. "They don't cuss. They have respect, and they call me Aunt Debbie."


During all her years of kindness, the lunch lady drove back and forth to school in a dilapidated 1976 Chevy Malibu. Despite its unreliability, she drove it all over San Diego for her job and volunteer work, until her students said "enough!" State Farm teamed up with the charity Recycled Rides to donate a beat-up 2014 Mazda to the students. Teens in the automotive repair department of another high school worked on the car secretly for three weeks, until it looked and ran like new. When the lunch lady was given the car recently, she was so excited that she danced.

No comments:

Post a Comment