Friday, January 1, 2016

"Talk to a Muslim" with free coffee and donuts

Mona Haydar and her husband Sebastian Robins were visiting his parents in Cambridge, MA, in December when he suggested she set up a sidewalk stand outside the Cambridge library and offer free donuts and coffee to anyone wishing to talk to a Muslim.

                                                                                                         Courtesy photo from Mona Haydar
Haydar was hesitant at first, fearing she'd be confronted with Islamophobia, "but honestly," she said, "I decided if we were going to do it, we were going to have to go in with really positive attitudes."

The people she encountered were friendly and warm. She said once people got to know her, they talked about everything, adding that, "I'm sure that people who gave me a chance and got to know me would know that the religion I practice is one of love, with kindness at its core."

No comments:

Post a Comment