Saturday, September 27, 2014

Let me be a little kinder...

Believe it or not, when I was in sixth grade we had opening exercises every morning. First we stood and faced the flag and recited the Pledge of Allegiance. (The words "under God" had just been added by President Eisenhower.) Then one of the students stood and read a few verses from the classroom's King James Bible. We only used the old testament, so our Jewish friends could be included. (When it was my turn, I usually read the 91st Psalm.)  Then we bowed our heads in a moment of silent prayer. But I wasn't sure what to whisper to God. Should I ask for good grades? Or ask to be appointed to the safety patrol? That's what I wanted most!


When I told Dad and Mom about this, they said I shouldn't ask God for anything. They wrote down a little prayer (originally by Edgar Guest) and made me read it over and over and over, until I knew it cold. They said if I recited it to myself during silent prayer, and really meant it, my whole day would be better. Since then, I've asked my kids at summer camp to memorize it, and the kids I've taught in Sunday School, and do you know why? Because this prayer works! Maybe you'd like to memorize it too? But remember, it only works if you pray it from your heart.

Let me be a little kinder,
Let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those about me.
Let me love a little more.

Let me be when I am weary
Just a little bit more cheery.
Let me think more of my neighbor
And a little less of me.




1 comment:

  1. Your parents certainly were good, clear thinkers. Thank you for sharing this particular wisdom regarding silent prayer. It's quite helpful.

    ReplyDelete