Thursday, January 12, 2017

Parking lot grandma saves the day

Late on New Year's Eve, Kristin Sherman of Essexville, Michigan, went shopping at Meijer's to  buy party snacks for her two tired sons and, most important, some milk they'd need for the coming holiday. The store was crowded, and her youngest son almost had a "melt down," but she calmed him until they got back to the car, where he was crying as she fastened his seatbelt. All she wanted was to get home, but the milk slipped out of her hand, hit the pavement, and splattered. It made her cry as she pushed her cart the cart return area. A woman inside the car next to the cart return area saw her tears. That's when she, known only as "the parking lot grandma," got out of her car.

                                                                                                                       Facebook
Kristin posted what happened next on Facebook, and it went viral. In her own words, "A woman got out and said, 'I'm so sorry you spilled your milk. I'm a grandma. I know how that is. Please let me go in and get you another one.' I said 'no, that's okay,' but she insisted and finally I agreed because I knew the boys needed their milk tonight. She told me to wait and she'd be right back. She came back and I offered to pay her. She wouldn't accept it. I begged her to take some money. She wouldn't. She said Happy New Year's. I thanked her, gave her a hug, and got into the car. Not only did she get my gallon milk, but she got an additional gallon and a Meijer gift card! I was feeling exhausted and defeated for most of this week, and this stranger's random act of kindness made me cry like a baby."
The story was repeated on a local TV station, and as a family watched the newscast, their grandmother said, "that was me!" Granny is not on Facebook, but her daughter contacted Kristin via social media and Kristin was able to thank "the parking lot grandma" one more time for comforting and encouraging her when she cried over spilled milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment