Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Let's call him Captain Christian

After many years as a "top gun" test pilot flying experimental jets, he retired, but his skills were still needed so he worked part-time, flying the newest fighter jets from their factory to air bases where they would be stationed. One day as he approached a destination airport, flight control asked him, "How much extra fuel do you have?" He said, "Enough to do whatever you need." The tower said, "We're fogged in. Visibility is zero until you get down to 100 feet. There's a young pilot in a Piper Cub flying above the fog. He just got his license, and he has no radar so he can't see the airport. Can you assist?" The captain agreed. He spotted the Piper Cub on radar and circled around behind it, finally flying right beside it, wingtip to wingtip. "I almost had to raise my canopy to get enough drag to fly that slow," he said. The Piper Cub was running out of fuel, and the young pilot was so scared that he kept staring straight ahead and never saw the fighter jet until the captain found his frequency and yelled, "Look to your left!"


"Just follow me," said the captain. "I'll make two big circles. You stay close behind me. After two circles, I'll descend into the flog, guided by radar. You descend right behind me. Don't worry if you can't see anything." After circling twice, the fighter jet sank into the pea soup fog, and the helpless Piper Cub followed. The young pilot was flying blind, but he had no choice. After descending a few seconds they reached 100 feet and the fog vanished. The runway was clearly visible, right in front of them! After both planes landed, the young man hugged the captain and thanked him for saving his life. "That's what we Christians do," said the captain. "When we find someone who is lost, we guide him through the fog of fear and lead him safely home." Amen.

3 comments:

  1. This story comes with no names, no location, absolutely nothing to validate it. This is not a news story. It's just a good story. If it's good stories you want, that expands the scope of possibilities rather a lot, but will reduce the appeal of your blog. I follow the blog only for the good news stories.
    Just saying.
    From a friend and a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is true, and I searched online since I could not recall where I first saw it, but was not successful. As far as I know, its the only "unvalidated" story that has ever appeared on the blog. Thanks for warning that you follow the blog "only for good news stories." Sorry to disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story is true, and I searched online since I could not recall where I first saw it, but was not successful. As far as I know, its the only "unvalidated" story that has ever appeared on the blog. Thanks for warning that you follow the blog "only for good news stories." Sorry to disappoint.

    ReplyDelete