Wednesday, December 28, 2016

How strong can mother love be?

This month, Karen and Eric Klein of Easton, PA,  brought their 10-year-old son Isaac to see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. When the family found SR 67 to the North Rim closed for winter, they sought an alternative way to reach the canyon. A second road does exist, but it's impassable. Not knowing this, they tried the road and soon their rental car became stranded. Karen, 47, is a triathlete and her husband had recently been in an accident, so she said, "I'll go. I'll just walk up to the main road. I'm a runner." And she left.

                                                                                                                                       Facebook
After hiking 36 hours of 30 miles of snow, eating twigs for food, she said her maternal instincts kicked in. She recalled thinking, "I can't leave my son without a mom. I can't leave my husband without a wife. I am not letting my parents bury me." Finally she broke into a vacant residence for park rangers and collapsed under a blanket, too weary to start a fire. That's where a search and rescue team found her. When she failed to return to the car, her husband hiked to higher ground where his cell phone worked and called for help. Coconino County Sheriff's official Jim Driscoll called the rescue "a Christmas miracle. Our guys are ecstatic. This was a save," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment