Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Is God a motion sensor?

It takes courage to quit standing still and step forward in faith on a new adventure. Remember the iconic image from the movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Indy is high up in a mountain? He comes out of the mountain and finds himself standing at the edge of the cliff face, just a quick tumble from certain death. He looks at his book of clues and it talks about a "step of faith," so he knows what he has to do. Yes, he steps out into thin air. There's nothing visible under him but air. Then a path appears, but only after he took that first step and it was too late to go back.


I remember walking down the lane where I lived in Carmel, Indiana, a few years ago. There were no street lights and it was dark at night. But as I strolled forward, motion sensor lights over each garage door would click on, lighting the way. If I stood still, they'd go out. They only worked when I moved forward. Some folks think God looks like an old man with a long beard. I wonder if He looks like a motion sensor?

No comments:

Post a Comment