Monday, October 17, 2016

If the shoe fits, give it!

When Hector was a sophomore at Coronado High School in Lubbock, Texas, he was running with the wrong crowd. "I didn't have the best home life, and I gave attitude to the teachers," he said. But one teacher and coach, Thomas Walser, treated Hector like a son. "Words can't describe the impact that coach has had on my life," Hector admits. "Coach really invested so much time into me to turn my life around." Now a senior. Hector expects to be the first person in his family to attend college. But before leaving high school, he had to thank coach in a meaningful way. And he did.

                                                                                                                                         Twitter
Hector explains, "Two years ago he mentioned his favorite shoes he never got. I don't think coach remembered the conversation, but being a sneakerhead, I remembered it." Recently, Hector walked into Walser's room and put a black box on his desk. When the teacher opened it, he found a pair of Air Jordans -- the shoes he'd wanted since sixth grade and never got. Walser was so thrilled he put the shoes on and hugged Hector three times. He explained, "The fact that he gave me the shoes is not what is really meaningful about it. It's the fact that this kid cared enough about me that he held on to that story for two years and wanted to show his appreciation for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment