Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Howard Chandler Christy

Howard Chandler Christy was a famous American artist. He is often remembered for his painting "Signing of the Constitution of the United States," which is 20 feet tall and 30 feet wide, and was painted from Sept. 1939 until April 1940 at the Navy Shipyard in Washington DC, since there was no art studio large enough to hold it. The canvas weighed 1,700 pounds. The painting, shown here, was hung in the east stairway of the House wing of the United States Capitol and unveiled in 1940.


Before starting this painting, Christy wrote a letter which was published an April, 1937, issue of Time Magazine. He wrote:

"It is fitting I should give testimony of my healing in Christian Science on this Easter morning, as it was 28 years ago at Easter time when first my health was returned to me. Previous to this time I had been partially blind, and numb from the knees down. I had tried all kinds of cures but no help. I tried to forget through drink. The doctors said I could live but a few months.  One day my relative, a Christian Science practitioner, called on me. I managed to hobble into the front room where she was sitting, and during the conversation she asked if I would like her to pray for me. Right then something told me from within that I should regain all my strength, so I answered 'Yes, go ahead.' While she was talking everything in the room began to clear. I could even see the color of her eyes, which were blue. It was as if a fog had lifted. I stood up and wanted to walk out in the clear air and did, for a three mile walk. That night I read three pages of the Christian Science textbook Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, and had no trouble reading the fine print. The next day I went to work and have worked ever since. In a few minutes time, my life was changed from discouragement to joy and light and happiness, and gratitude is mine and will always be so long as I live."  (Signed)  Howard Chandler Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment