Thursday, June 4, 2020

Mayor of Detroit in tears

Stefan Perez is only 16 years old, but he began marching in downtown Detroit, Michigan, recently with 15 people. More and more joined until he became unwitting leader of a large crowd. He vowed to keep everyone in line and get them home safely. At the end of the march, after no looting or fights, he urged protesters to obey the city's 8 p.m. curfew. With a megaphone someone thrust into his hand, he kept the protesters calm even though some of them tried to defy his peaceful intentions.


"I tried to keep everyone together," he said. "I'm surprised people listened to me. I'm glad they did because they're not hurt right now." While a reporter was interviewing the young activist, Mayor Mike Duggan called on someone's phone and the call was broadcast via speakerphone on Facebook Live. He said, "Son, I was watching the video and I saw your leadership. I have tears in my eyes. You are everything that's special about the City of Detroit. We're going to fight injustice because of people like you."

No comments:

Post a Comment