Sunday, February 4, 2018

From Facebook to the BBC

Today's crumb first appeared on Ella Johannessen's Facebook page, and then became a top story on  BBC News. In her post, she recalled riding a train from London King's Crossing Station to Leeds a few days ago. During the ride, she called her mom and started venting about her money problems. During her senior year at Leeds Beckett University, the 23-year-old had to quit her job to focus on her studies, and she fell into debt. "I was rather stressed out over my financial situation. I spoke about how little money I had and how worried I was, and I got upset.," she said on Facebook.


After ending the call, she fell asleep in her seat and when she awoke she found a napkin on her lap. Underneath were 100 pounds ($141) in 20-pound notes. "I started to cry," she said, "after a terrible 18 months of losing my father and both of his parents, this showed me there is kindness and good people in the world." She suspects the person who left the money does not want to be found, but she has promised to pay it forward by volunteering for a charity in Leeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment