Monday, May 29, 2017

Flexin' My Complexion

"I've been bulllied a lot, like in the first grade," says 10-year-old Kheris Rogers of Los Angeles, California. "I went to a school with just four other black kids, and the kids used to bully me because they weren't used to my skin tone. There was an incident with a teacher. We had to draw ourselves, and she gave me a black crayon instead of brown, and I was really upset. Kheris' 22-year-old sister Taylor remembers how Kheris would come home and talk about the negative comments she heard. In March, Taylor showed the world how beautiful her sister is, in a tweet that went viral.


Kheris was surprised the tweet got 83,000 likes. Compliments poured in, and they boosted her confidence. So she created a new clothing line to empower others who face discrimination because of what she calls "colorism." She realizes other kids might also feel bad about themselves because of their skin color, so she produced a T-shirt called "Flexin' My Complexion," which costs $15 and has received a lot of fanfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment