Thursday, November 12, 2015

Who says prisons never rehabilitate anyone?

Superior Court judge Carl Fox, 61, of North Carolina, needs a bone marrow donation to restore his health.  A local coffee shop has organized a drive to find him a match, but one of the most unexpected donor offers came from 62-year-old Charles Alston. Why unexpected? Because Alston is serving 25 years at Franklin Correctional Center in Bunn for armed robbery, and Fox sent him there. Fox was very touched and totally surprised by the offer. "He had every reason to be angry with me," Fox said, "given where he is and the sentence he was given." But Alston sent his prayers to the judge for a speedy recovery.

                                                                                                                                         WRAL Photo
"You were the district attorney during my trial," he wrote the judge. "There is no hatred or animosity in my heart towards you." In fact, Alston believes Fox may have saved his life by sending him to prison. "I had a lot of hate for Mr. Fox because he sentenced me to so much time," he admitted, "but I come to church a lot. I found God. So I thought maybe if I could do something for someone else, I'll do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment