Tuesday, October 14, 2014

She waited for him then; she's waiting for him now

Bob Lowe is 93 and lives in Hamphire, UK. He lost his wife Kath a few months ago. They were married 65 years, but it had been 72 years since their first kiss, because they postponed their wedding until he finished fighting in World War II. 



"She waited for me," Bob said, and then began the happiest years of their life.  Now that she's gone, he admits the loneliness hurts. So he wrote her a poem called "Ode to Kath." When he read it in person on BBC radio recently, listeners were moved to tears. Here's what he read.




Ode to Kath - by Bob Lowe

I am alone, now I know it's true.
There was a time when we were two.
Those were the days when we would chat,
Doing little jobs of this and that.
We'd go to the shops and select our meals,
But now I'm alone and know how it feels
To try to cook, or have Meals on Wheels.
The rooms are empty, there's not a sound.
Sometimes I'm lost and wander around
To look for jobs that I can do
To bring back the days when we were two.
When darkness falls and the curtain's drawn,
That's when I feel the most forlorn,
But I must be honest and tell the truth,
I'm not quite alone, and here's the proof,
Because beside me in her chair
She quietly waits our time to share.
Kath said to me some time ago,
"Darling, when it's time for us to go,
Let's mix our ashes and be together
So we can snuggle for ever and ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment