Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Do little girls dream of becoming "sexy" cops?

Halloween is coming soon, and kids are deciding what they want to be when they go trick-or-treating. Some boys and girls dream of being police officers, and retailer Party Time, with 850 stores nationwide, has both costumes in stock. Here they are.
 Party Time describes the boy cop as a "protector of the peace who has it all under control." They describe the girl cop as "sassy and sweet." Her uniform features handcuffs, fingerless gloves, a short skirt, black stockings and boots with  high heels. At least one Mom, attorney Lin Kramer of Savannah, GA, protested on Party City's website, "I am absolutely appalled that your business reinterprets girls' innocent and well-intentioned dreams into this costume." Her complaint went viral, and the company replied, "we appreciate the insight and will consider your feedback for the future,"but then removed their comment. Later, she told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "The underlying message, intentional or not, supports the antiquated gender stereotype that girls are to be seen and not heard, as well as the inappropriate suggestion that girls are to be valued only for physical and sexual appearance." Hope your Halloween is free of gender stereotypes!

3 comments:

  1. Creativity of author is only spectacular. It has touched to the extent of understanding along with his writing. the entirety is up to the mark. Written flawlessly and i will use such facts for my coming task. elixir of immortality

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. I came into aware of new professional blog and I am impressed with suggestions of author.jobcoach amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful to this blog for assisting me. I added some specified clues which are really important for me to use them in my writing skill. Really helpful stuff made by this blog.loopbaanbegeleiding amsterdam

    ReplyDelete