Thursday, April 30, 2015

Inspiration from a palm tree

Sitting in the lanai of our vacation home today, I pondered the beautiful palm tree pictured here and remembered that one year ago it seemed we might never return to Florida. But through the selfless love of many, conditions changed and here we are. This tree reminds me of a poem by John Greenleaf Whittier called The Eternal Goodness. It expresses exactly how I feel this year, and perhaps it will resonate with you, too.


"I know not what the future hath of marvel or surprise, assured alone that life and death His mercy underlies. I know not where His islands lift their fronded palms in air; I only know I cannot drift beyond His love and care. And Thou, O Lord! by whom are seen thy creatures as they be, forgive me if too close I lean my human heart on thee." Whittier

No comments:

Post a Comment